Whether you are new to IU School of Medicine, or have been here a while…I’d like to extend a warm welcome on behalf of the Ruth Lilly Medical Library staff.
Our goal is make your career here fulfilling, productive, and successful. We have a comprehensive collection of e-journals, e-books, and databases to support your education, teaching, patient care, and research goals. More importantly, while the library’s physical location is in Indianapolis, we have a librarian faculty member assigned to each campus and to every department. Your medical librarian is your guide to our excellent services and numerous information resources.
Your medical librarian would like to hear from you, so please stop by, phone, email, or chat with us soon.
About the Ruth Lilly Medical Library
The Medical Library’s mission is to advance health care by providing instruction, expertise, and leadership in knowledge management and establishing a collaborative lifelong learning environment vital for Indiana University School of Medicine’s continued success in education, research and patient care.
The Indianapolis location serves IUSM medical students, staff, residents and faculty at all IUSM campuses throughout the state.
We provide a wide range of services including:
- A robust virtual library available anywhere, anytime
- Request articles and books via the Content Management and Delivery Department
- 3-D printing, prints sent to all IU School of Medicine Campuses
- EBM instruction
- EndNote and other classes, including research, technology & information resource based classes
- Subject guides to Library resources by specialty
- Systematic review preparation /search consultation
- Assistance with NIH Public Access Policy compliance
Established in 1908, the Ruth Lilly Medical Library is the largest academic health sciences library in the state. The facility has 50,000 square feet of space that includes:
- State of the art teaching facilities
- A team-based learning classroom
- Four computer classrooms for testing and teaching, each housing 40 computers & video projection equipment
- Study carrels (seating capacity, 200)
- 200 computers
- Small group study rooms
As of 2017, the library currently subscribes to or has access to:
- 167,887 Journals
- 1,318,377 eBooks
- 140 Online Databases
The medical print book and journal collection is the largest in Indiana and includes 184,066 volumes, and a History of Medicine special collection of books, journals and artifacts.
History of Medicine
The Leo J. McCarthy, MD History of Medicine Room contains the History of Medicine special collection consisting of approximately 3,500 books including several significant books on the American Revolutionary War, and early American surgery.
The Leo J. McCarthy, M.D. History of Medicine Lectureship
Established in May 2015 by Dr. McCarthy, the lectureship brings in experts to address topics that enlighten and educate students and faculty, and instill the same passion to understand the evolution of their profession.
Indiana Public Health Historic Collections
The collection includes digitized versions of the Indiana State Board of Health Monthly Bulletin (1899-1991) and the Historic Image Collection featuring 19th-20th century images.