As a fourth year medical student federal student loan borrower, you are required by the U.S. Department of Education to attend an in-person Exit Interview. This is required of all fourth year medical students who have borrowed under the following federal loan programs:
- Direct Loan (DL) Federal Stafford (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) Loan
- Direct Loan (DL) Federal Grad PLUS Loan
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Primary Care Loan
- Federal Loans to Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
Additionally, the Indiana University Student Loan Administration conducts an exit interview online for the following loan programs:
- Federal Loan for Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
- Federal Primary Care Loan (PCL)
School-based or institutional loans:
- Henry Strong Loan
- Mabel Sledd Cunnison Loan
- Robert Wood Johnson Loan
Lastly, information will be provided for those students who have privately-based student loans.
Education Debt Manager
Download 2017 Education Debt Manager for Graduating Medical Students. It’s a comprehensive guide to managing FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools).
In an attempt to meet this graduation requirement, our office will be conducting three Exit Interview Sessions during the month of February as part of the National Financial Aid Awareness Month. The session will be 2 hours for each group. We are calling the sessions, “It takes a Village to Manage Your Student Loans”. The Exit Interview Sessions will include the following groups for those whose last name begins with the following alphabet:
- A thru G – Second Saturday in February
- H thru P – ThirdSaturday in February
- Q thru Z – Fourth Saturday in February
Keep in mind that this is a requirement for graduation (attendance will be monitored) and you will be required to attend in person. If you have a conflict that will preclude you from attending your designated session, please communicate with us on which of the other sessions you will be attending. Those who are not able to attend any of the February Exit Interview Sessions, we will have a make-up session on the morning of Match Day.
After Exit Interview
After the Exit Interview Session and before you graduate, you will be required to complete several steps to have our office clear you for graduation. Remember, failure to complete these steps will put a hold on your diploma.
Future Impact Program
We do encourage you to bring your significant other, spouse, parents or anyone who is interested in knowing how you will be managing your student loan indebtedness beyond medical school.
First Saturday in March, we will make available our popular “Future Impact Program”, a financial planning workshop for fourth year medical students. This workshop will cover timely topics like home buying, financial planning, income tax pitfalls and protections (insurances).
Access Your Loan Online
- To access your Direct Loan (DL) Federal Stafford Loans as well as your DL Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, you can go to http://www.nslds.ed.gov. You can also get the same information through your loan servicer’s web portal(s). For example, for Direct Loans, it may be www.studentloans.gov.
- To access your Federal Loan History (Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Graduate PLUS Loans only), you can go to http://www.nslds.ed.gov. This history does not include the LDS, PCL or any of the institutional loans listed above.
- To access student loans held at Indiana University, you can go to http://www.iuloans.iu.edu/~iuloans/. This includes any LDS, PCL or institutional loans listed above.
Other Helpful Information and Tutorials
- This is a good tool for determining the net pay after taxes.
- A great tool for finding out the status of a hospital with regard to their Not-for-Profit or For-Profit status and teaching affiliation.